Don’t run away – I promise -this stuff is amaze-balls. If you’re on any kind of diet, you might want to not read this – there’s bacon, cheese and bacon grease involved.
I saw the pic on Pinterest of the Copycat Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken and had to give it a try. Here are the things I knew going into it:
- my kids hate mustard
- Most chicken recipes call for cream of crap soup- this one didnt
- my kids love bacon
- my son & hubby hate mushrooms
- I’ll eat anything that’s cooked in or with bacon
So I deconstructed and reconstructed to make an entirely different (but similar) recipe. I know the bacon was a winner with everyone, I thought if the honey-mustard was sweet enough – the kids would go for it, so I left that as is. We all like chiles so I decided to add green chiles and take away the mushrooms. If it were just maddie and I, i’d have left the mushrooms.
They honey mustard sauce is really good and makes a lot – so you’ll have leftovers for dipping or chicken nuggets – dont double dip on your 1/2 cooked chicken during the process below so you can save it!
Here’s what I ended up with:
It’s SOOOOO yummy! Here are the details:
- Honey Mustard:
- 1/4 Cup Mustard, nothing fancy, French's is fine
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise (you cant taste it, at all)
- 2 Tsp. Onion Flakes, optional
- Everything Else
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, pounded 1/2" thick
- 6-7 slices bacon
- 1-4oz can diced green chilies
- 2 C Shredded Colby Jack or Pepper Jack Cheese
- Sprinkle flattened chicken with Lawry's season salt on both sides, stick back in fridge
- Mix up Honey Mustard by combining Mustard, Honey, Mayo & onion flakes in a small bowl, whisk and set aside
- Cook bacon in a skillet large for 4 chicken breasts
- once bacon is done, remove and drain - brown chicken breasts IN BACON GREASE on both sides until GBD (golden brown & delicious!)
- Spray a about a 9x10 baking dish with non-stick spray, you want the chicken to nestle in there, but not be crowded - they need to touch a bit.
- Place breasts in the pan and paint with about 2 Tbsp Honey Mustard apiece, you can use a little more - you want them coated well
- Top each breast with crumbled bacon & a tablespoon of green chilies, spread over the whole piece
- Top each breast w/ about 1/2 cup of shredded cheese
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes until chicken reaches an internal temp of about 175.
- We like ours with cheesie bacon mashed potatoes & steamed broccoli or green beans