I. Love. Caprese. Salad – but making it for a crowd can be a bit of a pain – and expensive if you want really good tomatoes & mozzarella. This salad combines a new technique – zoodles – with a classic salad. I don’t have a spiralizer, so I use a julienne peeler on the zucchini – which makes nice matchstick strips.
I buy the small balls of mozzarella, and cut them into quarters or eighths – but you can buy pearls of mozzarella that are small and work well too. I can’t always get them here so I improvise.
It went against the grain the first time I made this to eat zucchini raw – but honestly it’s really good – and holds up well to a bit of dressing.
- 2 small zucchini
- 10-12 small balls of mozzarella - cut in quarters
- 8-10 leaves of basil, chiffonade (roll into a cigar and slice into thin ribbons)
- 1/2 pt grape tomatoes, halved (or any tomato cut into small bite-size pieces)
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Use a julienne peeler or a spiralizer to cut your zucchini into "noodles" into a salad bowl. I leave the skins on and wash the zucchini off well.
- Add in the mozzarella, tomatoes, & basil
- Drizzle with Balsamic & Olive Oil
- Toss well - add salt & pepper to taste. Add more balsamic vinegar if you'd like