This is my hubby’s favorite, I try to have a small jar of it in the fridge all the time. It makes a great ice cream, waffle, pancake or spoon topper….no lie, you’ll eat this stuff right out of the pan or jar.
Here’s the best part…it’s dead easy to make.
I have never been able to grow blueberries. I’m from northern Minnesota and they grow wild up there, but here in Colorado I think they take more mollycoddling than I’m willing to deal with. So I buy blueberries, frozen….or fresh when I can.
The best blueberries for this sauce are wild blueberries. I buy them at City Market in the freezer section. You can make a cup or two of sauce with just a 1/2 to 3/4 cup of berries, so a bag of frozen will do 3 or 4 batches.
Here’s the instructions – look close – they’re quick!
- 2/3 Cup Frozen Blueberries
- Juice from 1/2 a Lemon
- 1 1" x 1/2" piece of lemon zest (i use my veggie peeler and peel off a piece)
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- Cornstarch to thicken (optional)
- Put first 6 ingredients in a small sauce pan on medium and bring up to a simmer
- In a small bowl combine 1 T of cornstarch and 2-3 T of water to make a slurry
- Let sauce simmer for about 10 minutes, then turn up to High and bring to a boil
- Once sauce is bubbling good, stir in cornstarch and continue stirring until it thickens.
- Bring back down to a simmer once thick and cook for a couple more minutes