Cowboy Caviar – Small Batch
I found a nice recipe for Cowboy Caviar but honestly – they make SO MUCH and I really didn’t need to have so much in my fridge. I cut the recipe here and there and it still made quite a bit – great for a couple or small gathering.
Hubby hates cilantro – so I made it optional here. Use whatever bell pepper you have on hand, I like yellow, orange & red better than green – but green would work okay as well. I do think that red onion is a must, a regular yellow onion would be too strong.
Small Cowboy Caviar Recipe
- 1/2 Can Black Beans Rinsed & Drained (I saved the other half for nachos)
- 1 C Frozen Corn Thawed
- 3 Medium Tomatoes Diced
- 1 Bell Pepper Diced
- 1/2 Jalapeno Pepper seeded & minced (use a whole one if you like it spicy)
- 1 Avocado diced
- 1/2 Red Onion diced
- 1/2 C Italian Dressing
- 1/4 C Fresh Cilantro minced & optional
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or more to taste
Mix everything (including the spices & seasonings) together in a medium size bowl EXCEPT the the avocado.
Once everything is mixed well, fold the diced avocado in gently
Tastes better if you let it sit for a bit.
Adapted from 12 Tomatoes