I found a nice recipe for Cowboy Caviar but honestly – they make SO MUCH and I really didn’t need to have so much in my fridge. I cut the recipe here and there and it still made quite a bit – great for a couple or small gathering.
Hubby hates cilantro – so I made it optional here. Use whatever bell pepper you have on hand, I like yellow, orange & red better than green – but green would work okay as well. I do think that red onion is a must, a regular yellow onion would be too strong.
- 1/2 Can Black Beans, Rinsed & Drained (I saved the other half for nachos)
- 1 C Frozen Corn, Thawed
- 3 Medium Tomatoes, Diced
- 1 Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1/2 Jalapeno Pepper, seeded & minced (use a whole one if you like it spicy)
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 1/2 Red Onion, diced
- 1/2 C Italian Dressing
- 1/4 C Fresh Cilantro, minced & optional
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (or more to taste)
- Mix everything (including the spices & seasonings) together in a medium size bowl EXCEPT the the avocado.
- Once everything is mixed well, fold the diced avocado in gently
- Tastes better if you let it sit for a bit.