One of the rules in this house is I dont eat, clean up after, or open a can of tuna fish. It’s nasty, smelly, vile stuff. My husband loves it, but does his best to reduce my exposure – even washing out the sink when he’s done making it. He’s a nice guy sometimes.
That being said, I LOVE chicken salad sammiches. The best part? Nobody else in the house does, so I get them all to my self. I also love spicy food – so I decided to develop an easy recipe for spicy chicken salad. My recipe uses Sriracha – because it’s my favorite – but you can use your favorite hot sauce.
I use pretty simple and easy recipes – sometimes I make a double batch so I have it for a few days. I’d say this will keep up to 4 days in the fridge.
Tip for making your chicken salad last: Don’t double dip. Dont lick your spoon and stick it back in the bowl. The enzymes from your mouth will break down the miracle whip (or mayo if you prefer) and make your chicken salad icky much faster. The same goes for sour cream, yogurt or cottage cheese. Found this one out the hard way.
Here’s the simple process:
This recipe will make enough for 2 really generous sandwiches.....or many tea sandwiches.
- 1 4oz can chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp finely diced onion
- 2 Tbsp finely diced celery
- 2 Tbsp Miracle Whip (or mayo if you prefer)
- 1 tsp. Sriracha hot sauce (more if you like more spicy)
- dash salt
- dash pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Serve on whole wheat bread or a croissant if you want fancy. You can get super fancy and serve on white bread with the crust removed as a tea sandwich.
- I also like this served in a lettuce cup to reduce carbs