This is another one of my recipes that has been posted on Food.com for years. It has over 50 reviews and a 5-star rating. I’m adding it here because I like to have everything in one spot – and who knows, someday I might actually get around to that Cookbook I’ve always dreamed of writing 🙂
You can use ham bone, smoked ham shanks, smoked turkey wings, or no meat at all – its a pretty forgiving recipe. If you’ve only ever had split pea from a can, and think you hate it, I’d recommend trying this one – its REALLY tasty and filling on a cold winter day.
- 7 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas, rinsed and sorted (2 1/4 Cups). Sometimes they have stones in them - so don't skip this step
- 1 teaspoon salt - or less - salt later if you want to wait and see how salty your ham is.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices (1 1/2 Cups)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped (1 Cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 ham bone or 2 lbs ham shanks or 2 lbs smoked pork hocks or smoked turkey wings
- Mix all ingredients except ham (or turkey) in 5 qt slow cooker, then lay ham into the cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat 6 to 7 hours until peas are tender. My cooker tends to run hot - so adjust your cook time accordingly - if you have a normal cooker that doesnt boil EVERYTHING - you might go 8-10 on low
- Remove ham from cooker; place on cutting board.
- Pull meat from bones, using 2 forks; discard bones, fat and skin.
- Stir ham into soup and let sit for a few, then stir well before serving.