This is another great recipe from my good friend Tish – she makes this for our work get-togethers and it goes like gang busters. I like to eat it on chips as just a salsa but it would be good on a piece of fish or chicken as well.
This is a really impressive but very economical dish, as the olives are easily found in your grocery and are not the fancy “olive bar” olives that cost a mint and taste canned. You could experiment with other olives. I think a Kalamata would be great in this, but I’d watch your salt if you do substitute, as some artisan olives are much saltier than our “white bread” varieties.
Anywhere you use an olive tapenade, you could use this Italian pico.
This will keep at least a week in an air tight container in fridge. It tastes better if it "marinates" a bit so don't be afraid to make this one a day or two ahead of time!
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup green olives, chopped
- 1 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 cup green chilies, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 T. white vinegar
- 1 ½ T vegetable oil
- Mix all ingredients well and enjoy with blue corn tortilla chips or crackers.
- This is also great a great fresh topping for baked fish or chicken.