We love lasagne in this house – but I have a confession. I NEVER make it from scratch. If we have a traditional lasagne, its a frozen one I got on sale at the grocery. I feel like by the time you buy all of the cheese and go to all of the work – homemade is not really any better, or any cheaper.
THIS recipe, on the other hand, is easy, not fussy, and only takes a little bit of cheese to feed the whole family. It’s done in +/- 30 minutes start to finish, and I use my own spaghetti sauce seasoning or the mix I buy from my friend Erin’s Wildtree account! It’s awesome stuff, seriously! If you buy jarred sauce, you might become a convert. Just brown some burger or sausage, add in the seasoning and dump in a can of crushed tomatoes – easy peasy, tastes better than the jar, and in many cases it’s much cheaper depending upon the cost of your canned tomatoes.
I also make my own seasoning mix – I’ll post the recipe to that later this weekend so you can try that as well. Making your own is not hard, but if you dont have an insanely packed pantry like I do and don’t happen to have dried green pepper or dried basil laying around….Wildtree is a good option.
You can use jarred sauce if you must 🙂
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 28oz Can Crusted Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Wildtree Hearty Spaghetti Seasoning Mix
- 1-2 C Water
- 1 Cup Mozarella, shredded
- 1/2 C Cottage Cheese
- 8-10 Lasagne Noodles, broken into 1-2" pieces - these can be the cheapies - you don't need no-boil noodles for this
- In a large skillet - I mean large - all of this has to fit in there - brown your hamburger and salt and pepper, drain if necessary
- To the hamburger add the crushed tomatoes, spaghetti seasoning and 1 C water - mix well and bring to a simmer
- Add in the broken lasagne noodles and scoot the pan around so all of the noodles sink down into the sauce. If it looks like you're going to be a bit thick - add a bit more water - I use about 2 cups - remember the noodles will expand and the water will evaporate a bit - so dont worry if this looks REALLY watery
- Cover & Simmer for about 20 minutes on medium
- Uncover and continue to simmer for about 10-15 more minutes until noodles are almost done, this will cause your sauce to thicken!
- When the noodles are al dente - dot the cottage cheese around the top and sprinkle with Mozarella
- Cover again and simmer on low just until the cheese is melted