I’m a fan of throwing something together that’s tasty, flavorful and – most importantly – fast! If you cook ahead like I try to, having browned chorizo & onion in the freezer or fridge means a quick and easy dinner is about 20 minutes away, depending upon how you decide to use your treasures.
I made this up thinking about flavors I like together, what was on sale, and what would not put us into poultry overload the night before thanksgiving – everyone here loved it. Use green or red enchilada sauce – canned or homemade – you pick. I’d even swirl them together if you were trying to stretch. Adding leftover cooked potatoes to this would be tasty as well! Enjoy!
- 1 lb Chorizo
- 1/4 C Onion chopped
- 4 oz green chiles hot or mild - you choose
- 15 oz Black Beans drained or rinsed (pintos would work as well)
- 1 1/2 C Cheddar Cheese Shredded, Divided
- 6-8 ea Tortillas I like the FLour XL Burrito Size - but you can make them smaller if you like or use corn. Technically corn makes them enchiladas but that's okay
- 20 oz Enchilada Sauce Red, green, homemade, whatever you like
- 1 C Lettuce Shredded
- 1/4 C Tomato Diced
- Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 13x9 cake pan with foil or spray liberally with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a skillet brown chorizo and onion together until cooked through, stir in black beans and green chiles and heat through. If you have chorizo & onion in the fridge like I sometimes do when I cook ahead, take it out and microwave it with the beans & chiles until warm
- Stir in 1/2 C Cheddar Cheese
- Add about 2/3 C Mixture to an XL Tortilla - less if you use smaller. Top with a sprinkle of cheese (1/2 cup total - reserving 1/2 cup for the end) and roll up burrito style.
- Place in your prepared 13x9 cake pan and tuck them together. You should get about 6 big ones out of this mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes until the tortillas get a bit crispy - pull from oven and pour over the enchilada sauce and sprinkle remaining 1/2 C cheese on top and sprinkle with a few green onions. Slide back into the oven for about 15 more minutes.
- Enjoy with lettuce, tomato salsa, and sour cream!